Saturday, September 7, 2013

THE WRETCH


Written by Yasir 

Aunt Bertha is a prominent person in Geston Colony situated around Hawkins Streets. Everyone looks at her with some sort of a mystery, “Yes, she's a mysterious old lady”, the neighbours would tell about her. She lives alone in a double-storeyed house. Her grey coloured hair, half-opened eyes, wrapped cheeks, wrinkled neck and handicapped legs, all contributed to a perception of colonists that she must be around her early 70s. She has been staying there for past 3 years, yet, no one was ready to exchange quite a good words with her, feels strange, maybe because she also never wanted to. There are only a few who actually heard her voice. Some people worship and admire her whereas others admit her as a non-emotional creature, The Wretch!

One day, there was a visitor to Mr.James, who resides close to the aunt. And it was not a guest, but his daughter, Raechel who came after completing her Nursing studies in Switzerland, receiving the best scholar award. This added charm to his home and the whole colony celebrated her arrival. Mr.James arranged a party and everyone was called for the reception except aunt Bertha. Raechel was exceptionally cunning and she asked why aunt hadn't been invited. She didn't get a convincing answer. So she rushed to aunt’s home and rang the bell. After waiting for 15 minutes and when she was about to return, the door was opened. She was seeing her for the 1st time, so she enquired, “Aunt
Bertha?” The Aunt didn't respond, but Raechel continued, “Good evening, Aunty. I'm your neighbour. Raechel, the one and only daughter of Mr.James. I've come to invite you to the party on behalf of the award which I got recently for Nursing. You should come at 8 pm itself.”
The Aunt nodded her head to show disapproval and shut the door. “Hmm. interesting!” - Raechel moved her eye brow and told herself.

The Party was highly a colourful one, accommodated with delicious dishes. The clock ticked past 11 at night. People were in full mood, singing and dancing whirling in liquor. Suddenly, it happened. Mr.Adams dropped his glass and every one was startled especially Raechel. Everything was started by a loud sound.”What was that?”- Raechel asked. "It's from Aunt's home. Nothing to worry. It usually happens”, somebody replied.
“Then, why didn't any one call her to know what happened?” - Raechel outbursts. No one answered to that and Mr.James resisted her when she was about to go,” No need for that. She likes to be alone, let her be. Besides, she's a Wretch! “.

"A Wretch??Perhaps, might be. But, sorry pappa. I've to go”, she left his hand and went to aunt’s home.

Although Raechel rang the bell a number of times, there was no response. Then, she found out, the door was not locked. So, she entered the home and called the Aunt loudly and she heard a moaning under the steps.  Raechel found the aunt lying there. Raechel rushed to her and stretched her hands and ultimately made her stand up. The aunt looked at her with confusion. Tears rained down from her eyes. Raechel took her to the bed and took her well. “You're alright, aunty. Take rest."- Raechel said by cuddling her grey hair. The Aunt took her hand and said,” I never received such a care from anyone! You're an Angel, the real nurse and worth to be called so, dear! Raechel smiled and turning back, she found her Dad, Mr. James. He also was happy about his daughter, he hugged her and told, “I'm proud of you, my daughter. You did the right thing.” Every one padded her shoulder for what she did. She laid beside the aunt until she slept. Her eyes were struck at some paper reports which were flown in the air. Raechel took those and it reveals some shocking information, Aunt Bertha was just 52 years old and she has been struggling with HIV for the past 10 years..!!
Raechel felt extremely sorry for Aunt Bertha to know all these. She cuddled her hair for some time.

On the next day, Aunt found Raechel, standing near her with a bed coffee. “Good Morning, Aunty. Please have this”, she stretched the cup to her. Aunt thankfully smiled at her, receiving it. “So you're only at your 50s right, Aunt Jennifer?”, as soon as Raechel raised the question, she was terrified. Raechel continued, “Don’t be afraid aunty. I went through your papers accidentally. But, I'm not going to tell anyone”. The aunt faked a smile and spoke in broken words,” I'm… I’m not at all worried of myself .But, I'm worried about everyone around me, little angel..!”

“Aunty, it's not a contagious disease unless through sex or injection of needles. But, it's not merely the problem of yours. I understand that you're living in a state of guilty. You must change it, aunty..you must..”, Raechel told her. The Aunt mentioned her,”Raechel, you don't know anything about me. I have an unpleasant past. You may leave me after hearing those.” Raechel blinked her eyes and told, "Everyone commits mistakes, but a few regrets sincerely and most of them would find fault with others, forgetting their acts. To me, it's just your present condition matters and since you're weeping inside, you're likely to reveal your past to me, aunty.”

The Aunt had a furious, but respectful look at her. She said,” Alright. I'll tell my story.”

After a short pause, she continued.
“Yes, my real name is Jennifer and I used to be a beautiful South American model once. Men were crazy over me and well, I was extremely an egoistic girl. I committed sins for getting new opportunities. When the money was over flowing to me, I forgot and ruined myself. I used the most expensive cosmetics and even, I had seduced many innocent persons to share bed with me. I've just started to think of the ruthless power of women in seducing men.

Gradually, I got addicted to drugs and turned into World's worst creature, yet I was claiming myself to be the most beautiful and the sexiest.
But, my ego didn't last for ever.
My face started losing its charm and the hair gets greyed. Pretty soon, make ups no longer could hide my true self, in fact, the over usage was the cause of it. As the time passed, my brand also came down and I was completely avoided by the giants. The ones who needed me at my best, started spitting at me like a barking dog. I was turned useless and with the realisation of HIV, things were turned out to be the worst. I understood my mistakes, but it was too late. Every one left me alone and I was pushed to loneliness. As I was afraid of media, I rescued myself by just fleeing from one place to another and living in many names. I was afraid of being found out and that's why I resisted myself to be silent. Now here, I'm Aunt Bertha and luckily, I was unrecognisable, thanks to my allergic disease...” – she broke off and started weeping.

Raechel had no words to exchange, she just meekly touched her and hugged her and let the Aunt free her heart. After sometime, Raechel said,” Dear Aunty, You might have done mistakes. But, you realised it and you've purified yourself. That's all God wanted. Even Jesus had declared Mary Magdalene as sacred as per the Holy Bible. So please don't worry, Aunty. I need you here to be with us for life long.” Aunt burst out in ters again, but this time with immense bliss.” I swear,Raechel, you're really an Angel..!”, She embraced her.

From that day onwards, the Aunt Bertha became the loving Aunt of everyone out there in the Geston Colony. Perhaps, some good days for her before a silent death. But, she's happy now and feeling the divine salvation of Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment